Monday, September 22, 2014

Stand like a Man

Physical therapy focused on core strengthening today. One of the most helpful was the bracing sequence. The sequence is a 4 step process to help correct posture. The first step is to tighten the butt, then pull the belly in, third, pull your shoulders back and then let everything relax. I discovered that I could stand much longer with no pain. I practiced this several times as we used elastic bands to evaluate range of motion in my arms. I was impressed with the seemingly simple movements that could isolate a small muscle group and how it would fatigue quickly. The left side was difficult to move very much without pain and limited range of motion today. It holds the right side back. I was handed three pages describing range of motion exercises to help strengthen core muscles to correct the poor posture that has developed since two of my lumbar vertebrae were fractured by a tumor.

No comments: