Friday, August 20, 2010

Running buddy attrition

My workout program has been a consistent 1-3 daily workouts for 10 months. I took a vacation and I didn't run, swim or cycle for the entire week. My sleeping rhythms are off so it's hard to get up at 4:30 am in the morning. Pressure at work is mounting to finish assignments within a deadline. It's all good training because each challenge provides good training lessons.

Focus and concentration is essential. I pushed my limits near the end of a 5 hour run up to a mountain peak and back. I fell while running on a trail because I closed my eyes for a few seconds. I was lucky, making a full body launch into the air and sliding down the trail on a soft patch of soil.

I've been blessed with a good job, loving family and space to persue a dream. However sales at work have dipped for more than a few months and now the rumors of lay offs are starting up. I've seen the pattern several times before, i.e. benefits are scaled down, hiring is frozen and attrition starts creeping with people updating their resume and giving their notice.

Most of my running buddies are from work. It is hard to see one or more of them leave for another job. I created a meeting in outlook for a fun run at 6:30 am on Tuesday the week after next. It is just enough time for coworkers to think of a good excuse for not showing up, haha. I'm really looking for people who are ready to break out of their box, preconceived limitations and make a small change to improve. Besides, we are implementing a wellness program that requires participation in activities that promote healthy behavior. It isn't enough now to have a gym membership you don't use! I'm leading by example and invitation.

My mental attitude has been a little soft and fuzzy this week. I like to finish strong. Pushing my best efforts to organize and sharpen performance. It is a mental game to strengthen and prepare for what ever may come. There are always opportunities to learn.

I love you, may God bless you in your persuits.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: