Friday, August 20, 2010

My Spin Bike Calibration

I've worked out on the stationary bike for almost a year. I haven't been able to get up to Zone 3 or 4 very easily.

During a Spin session, I couldn't keep my heart rate within my training zones. It would take 15 minutes before I saw a change! and I started losing fitness. I discovered this after I had a VO2 (volume of oxygen absorbed) test The results didn't reflect well on my trainer in whom I was entrusting my hopes to increase performance. I think I discovered the source of the problem today.

The "studio spin cycle" has 3 adjustment configurations: raise seat (letters), move seat forward (numbers) and raise handlebars (numbers). The configuration sequence starting from raise seat are Q - 2 - 8. It took me about a half hour to test various configurations in a trial and error process of adjust, pedal and observe rate of change in my heart rate. I found a configuration where I could generate more watts! That's a good thing because that is converted into speed.

Spinning is tough! I sweat like crazy and I can barely walk down the stairs when I'm done. You might be thinking, "why are you working out on a stationary bike during the summer?!" I'm so glad you are smart enough to ask that!

It's convenient!! I rush over from work, dress down and I can focus on riding technique and not have to worry about cars, getting a flat tire or having to explain to my boss why I came back late. I once got lost and ended up riding 200 miles. : /

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: