Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Strength Training with Parralletes and Gymnastic Progressions



Bradley, the sports massage therapist, challenged me to set some goals, paste up a vision board and send a text message with my commitments that I talked about during our session. I sent the text message with a commitment to work out with an exercise ball, write a journal, read scriptures, walk, make a vision board and swim.

I started a vision board, cutting out pictures that represent an activity or achievement from some magazines I had around the house. This has already brought up some strong emotions; fears, doubts, anger and tears. Some of the dreams seem unreachable and I feel like why bother?!

I have a set of parralletes that I built a few years ago out in my living room again. I am taking up a workout regimen promoted by Coach Sommers and his training for gymnasts. I liked the program because it enables me to strengthen without adding a lot of weight. The program has hold positions in what are called gymnastic progressions. You start out with a simple pose, say holding yourself in a tuck position for a minute. If you can't do a minute, then do it for 10 seconds and then rest and then do it again 3 times. The workouts are short, requiring less than 30 minutes.

I started out with a frog stand until I could hold it for a full minute and then started the tuck planche which is holding your kness on your elbows. It is a little more difficult because of leverage. More of the body weight is displaced and each progression requires a little more effort to complete.

My first round, I was able to hold for 10 seconds. The next day, I was able to hold for 20 seconds. The third day I plateaued being able to barely replicate what I could before. I can really feel the muscles in my abdomen and back being pulled and stressed. It is a good burn.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's more than I can do Allen. Keep it up!