Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Started Barefoot Run with Surprising Benefits

I started barefoot running a few days ago. I started with the intent to discover if I can run or not. My concerns are with a compression fracture on lumbar 1 and 2 in my spine that were crushed by a tumor a year ago. I have been in therapy 3 times a week with a chiropractor and 2 times a week with a sports massage therapist, deep tissue massage.

I ran on the grassy fringe around the track at Carterville Park. Each loop is about 1/3 of a mile. As I ran I noticed less back pain, it felt good to feel the smooth strokes of the grass on my feet. My feet seemed eager to continue each step and besides my breath coming in ragged heaves, I think I did well. I watched carefully for any signs of pain or discomfort but I remained fairly comfortable. I went out the next day and ran again and my lungs had opened up quite a bit and didn't feel as winded. On the next day, I ran 2 laps around the track and didn't go for the third because I wanted to use some caution, not press my luck too much yet.


No comments: