Thursday, August 19, 2010

25 Year High School Reunion

I attended my 25 year North Salem High School class of 1985 reunion on Saturday August 14. We held our reunion at McNary Golf Course Tuff Ranch Bar and Grill. This was my first reunion. I had missed previous reunions, 5, 10, 15? and 20 year reunion because of various problems with planning and execution. Would anybody remember me or even care that I came?

Sabrina sent me an invitation via Facebook to a pre-reunion at Johnny's bar and grill on Friday. Many who didn't attend the next day were there. It was a bit of an ice breaker to approach someone I barely remembered. Nivine, an Egyptian exchange student walked up to me and asked if I remembered her, I did because I reviewed the Facebook event invitation and saw her name. We hugged and recalled the time we attended church together and the many times we sat and talked eating lunch. Lisa, related her time spent in marching band and track. She had served in the Air Force. I talked to Theresa about running and the use of Endurolyte supplements to keep leg cramping at bay. Tad had flown in from Honolulu, he had served in nuclear submarine Navy and is a general contractor building houses there. Sabrina gave me a big hug and asked about my triathlon training. She was a cheer leader and is still training cheer leaders.

On Saturday evening, we walked into the Tuff Ranch Bar and BBQ. Craig recognized me right away and greeted me at the door. We saw Holly and Yvonne next sitting at a table, they welcomed us with a name tag and
A list of questions to answer about myself. I introduced my wife Kelly to everybody and we walked to the bar and ordered drinks; sodas for us and Craig ordered a tequila mixed drink. He asked if I was a "church goer", yep, I'm still a Mormon :) he related his experience singing Barber shop quartet and singing in the Tabernacle choir. We sat down at a table and Craig called out each persons name as they entered. He had attended every reunion. Many came over to say hi and we exchanged handshakes and hugs.

Joe Gustafson introduced us to his girl friend and we walked out to the patio outside. It was a hot evening that gradually cooled off. We continued to meet others and eventually we chose a table and got in line for dinner. We sat with Jeff Warden and his wife Hannah and Lori Boyington-Jack. We filled out an 80's trivia question page. The reward was a bottle of wine for the winner. Lori used her iPhone to google answers. Cheating?, who me?!

Holly and a co-host called out questions. We stood up and sat down depending if the question was still "true". Questions like "stand up if you have 1 or more children". Laura had several children and her first was 26 years old and she had 11 grand children! She still looks beautiful. Corey had worked for Safeway since graduation. Several stood up to "have you been to jail?" no shame here, it's all experience!

I talked to several people that I still felt a little shy. Margo Ingham was so friendly, giving me a hug twice. Jaime Phifer and her husband laughed at my recall of past events and flirting. Kim Cooper retained much of her youth. I asked about her sprinting times and she recalled her PR times with ease for each event. She was between marriages and was with her fiancé. I asked if they had a dream and their reply was "which one?!". They shared a love of poetry and writing and to publish. I wanted to talk to Yvone but still felt too shy.

I feel content and at peace. I've carried some resentment and was relieved to let it go. I set an intent to honor each person I talked too. I wanted to regard each person as special and to act from love. It was accepted and returned by many. I feel that I'm a stronger and more confident athlete.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: